During this hands-on session details on how to apply OTMaster, FoundryMaster, LetterModeller, and the LS Cadencer/Cadenculator tools will be demonstrated and discussed simultaneously in groups. The three-hours meeting will be interspersed by pitch presentations (duration: roughly ﬁve minutes) in which the speakers introduce and illustrate their speciﬁc topics. Attendees can join the groups at any preferred moment.
The following mapping of the topics is an indication and not restrictive in any manner.
- Dr. Jürgen Willrodt will especially focus on the post-font production aspects, like the fixing of problems and quality control using OTM.
- Axel Stoltenberg will discuss and explain technical (programming) issues related to font production and will demonstrate shell scripting for the IKARUS production system.
- Lukas Schneider will demonstrate and explain the parametrized spacing of letters in Glyphs and RoboFont applications using his ‘cadencing’ tools.
- Michael Hoffmann will demonstrate the new FoundryMaster application, which is the highly sophisticated successor of the IKARUS production system and its sibling DTL FontMaster. Michael will also focus on the CJK production.
- Frank E. Blokland will show how OTM and FoundryMaster are used at the Dutch Type Library for the design and production of the exquisite DTL fonts. He also will discuss the application of Renaissance archetypal patterns in the present-day type design practice (this is related to the parametrization in LeMo and the LS Cadencer).
Software Developer (Hamburg)
Jürgen Willrodt studied Physics and Mathematics and got a PhD in theoretical particle physics in 1976. He joined URW Software & Type GmbH in 1983 as software developer. His ﬁrst major development project was the porting of the IKARUS font production system from DEC to Sun Unix. He has been…
Software Developer (Hamburg)
Axel Stoltenberg works as software developer at URW++ since 1984. He was deeply involved in the development of the IKARUS framework, which is the proprietary font-production software of the URW++ type foundry. Furthermore his work focuses on digital image processing, graphical editors, the production of Kanji, and the support for…
Type Designer (Frankfurt/Main)
Lukas Schneider studied graphic design at the Hochschule fur Gestaltung in Offenbach and holds a master’s degree in type design from the Type and Media department at the The Royal Academy of Art in The Hague (KABK). Lukas designed typefaces for various type foundries, including FontFont, Lineto, and the Indian…
Type Designer (Hamburg)
Michael Hoffmann manufactures digital fonts for already 30 years. He studied Japanology at the University of Hamburg and traveled in the early years of his professional career frequently to Japan, to educate the IKARUS font-production tools there. Over the years he specialized in the ideal representation of fonts on the…
Type Designer (’s-Hertogenbosch, Netherlands)
Frank E. Blokland is type designer (of among other typefaces, DTL Documenta and DTL Haarlemmer), Senior Lecturer in type design at the Royal Academy of Arts (KABK) in The Hague since 1987, and Professor and Research Fellow at the Plantin Institute of Typography, Antwerp, since 1995. Blokland founded the Dutch…